Location: New York, New York
Academic / Research
The people of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) are united by a singular mission: ending cancer for life. Our specialized care teams provide personalized, compassionate, expert care to patients of all ages. Informed by basic research done at our Sloan Kettering Institute, scientists across MSK collaborate to conduct innovative translational and clinical research that is driving a revolution in our understanding of cancer as a disease and improving the ability to prevent, diagnose, and treat it. MSK is dedicated to training the next generation of scientists and clinicians, who go on to pursue our mission at MSK and around the globe. One of the world's most respected comprehensive centers devoted exclusively to cancer, we have been recognized as one of the top two cancer hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report for more than 30 years.
In compliance with applicable State regulatory authorities, COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all MSK staff. Staff are considered fully vaccinated upon completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19 (i.e., one dose of a single dose vaccine or a final dose of a multi-dose vaccine series). Exceptions from the COVID-19 vaccine requirement are permitted for those who request and receive an approved medical or fully remote exemption. Requests for medical exemption can take up to two weeks to review. Vaccination or an approved medical exemption is required to start work.
*Staff working at a MSK New Jersey location must be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which includes having completed the primary COVID-19 vaccination series and booster once eligible as mandated by New Jersey State. All New Jersey staff not yet eligible for a booster must receive a booster within 3 weeks of becoming eligible as a condition of continued employment at MSK.
Note: Individuals are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster two months after completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19. Because vaccine-induced immunity can wane over time, MSK continues to strongly urge all staff to get a COVID-19 booster as soon as they become eligible to maintain their protective immunity for a longer period.
The Proteomics Core at Sloan Kettering Institute (SKI) is seeking to hire an expert in mass spectrometry-based proteomics. We aim to recruit a dynamic, innovative and motivated Senior Research Assistant to provide state-of-the-art proteomic expertise to support projects across the different programs of SKI. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and executing proteomic experiments as well as for developing LC-MS based proteomics methods. Approaches include, but are not limited to, proteomics, phosphoproteomics, interaction proteomics, targeted proteomics and chemoproteomics. Close collaboration with scientists to design experiments is required.
The Senior Research Assistant will join a state-of-the-art laboratory with comprehensive expertise in mass spectrometry-based proteomics. This position requires bioanalytical expertise, a solid background in proteomics, data analysis and protein biochemistry and knowledge of high resolution mass spectrometry instruments (i.e. Q Exactive, Lumos, Eclipse) and nano HPLC systems. Expertise with TimsTOF and triple quadrupole instruments is preferable, but not required.
As Senior Research Assistant you will!
* Perform custom proteomic, phosphoproteomic (and other post translational modifications), interaction proteomic, and targeted proteomic experiments
* Independently develop, optimize, and validate new LC/MS methods
* Use, maintain, and troubleshoot high resolution mass spectrometers (Thermo Q Exactive Plus, Lumos, Eclipse) and nano LC instruments. Similar experience with the Bruker TimsTOF instruments is preferred, but not required
* Independently conceptualize, design, and conduct proteomic experiments (including experimental design and basic data collection)
* Apply open source and vendor-developed software for data analysis (e.g., Max Quant, Proteome Discoverer, Spectronaut, etc.)
* Ensure that all research/discovery work is conducted with highest quality and ethical guidelines and in accordance with relevant regulatory, QC, and compliance guidelines
* Maintain laboratory records and adherence to safety policies
* Be responsible for monitoring and updating costumer's requests in iLAB
* Be responsible for monitoring the inventory for the laboratory. Oversee generation of purchase orders for supplies and equipment
* Communicate with vendor technical support and sales representatives as necessary
* Train and supervise technicians
* A Bachelor's Degree in a Biological, Chemistry, or Science related field with at least 6 years of relevant full-time experience or a Master's degree with 3 years full-time relevant experience
* Expertise in mass spectrometry-based proteomics, including proteome profiling, PTM, protein-protein interaction, chemoproteomics, etc.
* Work independently as well as with an interdisciplinary team of scientists in a highly collaborative environment
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a collaborative team environment
Please click to learn more about MSK's compensation philosophy.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.