This position offers an exceptional opportunity to work in a leading regional hospital system with strong, stable senior leadership and located in a popular, thriving ‘college community’. The AVP, Patient Care Services is a newly established role and is a highly visible, significant position that offers excellent potential of growth and career advancement for the right candidate. This is your chance to be part of a collegial, supportive hospital environment and make an impact by bringing your knowledge and expertise to this crucial assignment.
Reporting to the VP Patient Care Services/CNO, the AVP will be responsible and accountable for the overall leadership for the CV service line, which includes managing a multi-million dollar departmental budget and 279 FTEs.
In conjunction with the Director of Patient Care Services, CV Services the AVP will be responsible for the daily clinical management of the Cardiology Service Line, including cath lab, centralized monitoring, CSICU, CSU, ACCU, CIU, Echo, EKG, inpatient cardiac unit, Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehab. The goal is to become a Cardiovascular Center of Excellence.
Along with the Director of Patient Care Services, this position will be accountable for the overall leadership of the inpatient medical intensive care units, medical floors inclusive of neurology, stroke unit and oncology, and respiratory therapy.
The AVP, Patient Care Services will be responsible for ensuring the integration of the Mission and Vision of the Health System into the work environment. This includes providing administrative decision making, leadership and strategic planning and the efficient and productive use of personnel, material and financial resources. The person will have an operational focus, looking at processes, procedures and continuous improvement.
The position is responsible for leadership and management of daily operational activities, implementation of new programs, growth, quality, service and satisfaction initiatives and profitability within designated areas of responsibility. Through collaboration with others, the individual will provide leadership to assigned departments and assure department alignment in achieving organizational expectations/goals related to the 5 Keys of Excellence (patients, employees/volunteers, physicians and clinical excellence) and fiscal responsibility.
This individual will assess, plan, implement and evaluate aspects of care and/or programs to ensure their strategic alignment with the hospital wide operations plans and initiatives. This position is responsible for establishing policy and direction for areas of responsibility and is accountable for results. This individual will work collegially in matrix and direct line relationships to many components of the organization system.
Other Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Sets direction in areas of responsibility with defined measures and provides the framework for leaders and staff to meet their
- Provides strategic leadership for department(s) including but not limited to long range planning and overall direction setting at the service line and/or departmental/unit
- Responsible for service line and/or department organizational structure and alignment to meet forecasted business, community and patient
- Must have an operational focus and understanding of how all the processes and pieces in a system work
- Must be able to apply knowledge of transitions of care and population health to acute care environment as evidenced by the creation and implementation of processes that improve quality of care, improve the patient experience, decrease 30 day readmissions and decrease
- Oversees and accountable for staffing and turnover in area of responsibility, and promotes professional growth, development and accountability in staff and Able to teach, mentor and train others for additional responsibility and growth.
- Hardwires accountability and expectations (including back to the basics) throughout areas of Sets performance standards for leaders and staff. Develops working environment and avenues for education and training to meet those standards.
- Ensures clinical excellence across areas of responsibility as evidenced by outcomes such as HCAHPS, quality, value based purchasing scores, NDNQI measures, system and departmental
- Establishes priorities for patient experience, division growth, enhancement, and quality service based on customer need, community need, research findings and industry
- Leads and participates in organizational change and achieves continuous systematic, measurable improvement in areas of responsibility
- Achieves federal, state, local and third party regulatory requirements
- In conjunction with the VP Patient Care Services/CNO ensures nursing care objectives, policies and practice are established consistent with nursing ethics and standards of care.
- Collaborates with physicians in establishing and maintaining nurse/physician
- Represents DCH through civic and professional organizations and in the
- Collaborates with other leaders to integrate overlapping patient care
- Utilizes benchmark data from internal and external customer sources to identify opportunities for improvement of care and patient
- Develops and coordinates quality indicators, including the establishment of benchmarks, seeking to obtain top percentile ranking and the creation of a best in class environment.
- Prepares, administers, manages and oversees operating and capital budgets for areas of responsibility.
- Collaborates with team members (physicians, employees, administrators, leadership) in order to maximize revenue and decrease Meets or exceeds departmental productivity standards.
- Interviews, selects, hires, and retains employees, including other management positions and ensures orientation and training for employees, including other management positions
- Manages performance, including other management positions, and promotes, demotes, or transfers employees to meet organizational
- All other duties as assigned.